If you scour the Internet for hair growth treatments, you’ll come upon hundreds, if not thousands of different recipes and techniques. Some may work really well, while others may not, but one thing we do know for sure is that fermented rice water DOES actually work!
While the word fermented might conjure up some pretty gross thoughts, rest assured that it’s really not as bad as you think! Fermented rice water for hair growth has been used for centuries in China, specifically in ancient Chinese cultures. Long hair was always a sign of good health and fertility, and women would use this technique weekly to encourage growth, strength, and shine.
All that is needed for this recipe is rice and water – plain and simple! This treatment works because of the minerals that around found in fermented rice water and therefore strengthens the hair follicles and promotes quick growth.
Fermented Rice Water for Hair Growth Recipe
- 1/2 cup raw, uncooked white rice
- 2 cups water
- mason jar
- Add 1/2 cup of uncooked rice and 2 cups of water into the mason jar. Shake the jar well and let sit for a couple of hours.
- Strain the liquid and pour it back into the jar. You can discard the rice or use it for cooking!
- Leave the rice water to sit at room temperature for a day or two or until it develops a sour smell (this is the fermentation process!).
- Once fermentation occurs, add 2 more cups of water to the jar and store in the refrigerator for another day.
- Your rice water will then be ready to use!
How to Use Rice Water For Hair Growth:There are several ways you can use the rice water to strengthen and encourage growth:
- Pour the rice water into a spray bottle and spray directly onto hair. Make sure to saturate entire head and leave on for 45 minutes. Wash out and shampoo and condition as usual. Repeat twice a week.
- Add the rice water to any hair mask. Simply substitute the liquid in the mask recipe for the rice water. If the recipe doesn’t call for any liquid, simply add in about 1 tbsp of the rice water.
- Rinse hair with rice water. After shampooing, rinse your hair with the rice water and follow up with a conditioner.
- Be sure to use the rice water consistently for best results!