Stomach fat is stubborn. Unfortunately, excess stomach fat is also a serious health risk. People who carry their weight in their midsection have an increased risk of diabetes, heart disease, fatty liver, and metabolic syndrome. Luckily, a few simple habits can help reduce that stubborn stomach fat. Check out these 10 tiny changes to lose stomach fat fast. Little changes can have a big impact on your health and midsection!
1. Drink more water. You might be dehydrated and not even know it. It’s easy to mistake thirst for hunger, so next time you feel peckish, drink a glass of water, wait a few minutes, and see if your hunger subsides. Additionally, drinking more water will help your skin and your energy level as well as your waistline.
2. Get enough sleep. Studies have shown that people who get the recommended amount of sleep are less likely to be overweight. Getting to bed early stops you from reaching for a late-night snack, and can provide you with enough energy for a morning workout.
3. Pick up those weights. Cardio does help burn fat, but it’s much more effective when combined with weight training. Weight training helps speed up your metabolism, as well as build lean muscle. It even has other benefits, including maintaining bone mass and improving balance. Don’t have a gym membership? Try these Top 10 Body Weight Workouts to Lose Weight to get the same benefits.
4. Avoid soda. You probably know that sugar is a major culprit when it comes to weight gain. If you’re not sure how to start detoxing from sugar, start by cutting soda and other sugary drinks from your diet. Replace soda with water, seltzer, or tea to hydrate and cut down on empty calories.
5. Plan ahead. Cooking your own meals is the best way to avoid extra sugar, salt, fat, and calories. When you prepare food in your own home, you know exactly what you’re eating. Sit down and plan a week’s worth of meals and snacks before you go grocery shopping. Prepare as much as possible over the weekend, so that when hunger strikes, you have healthy foods ready to eat.
6. Snack away. Eating healthy snacks can stop you from overeating during meals. It also keeps your metabolism from slowing down, and provides your body with the energy it needs to exercise and build muscle. Try these 15 Snacks Unexpectedly Under 100 Calories.
7. Eat slowly. Take your time when you eat. Whenever possible, sit down with your family, roommate, or friends for a meal. You’ll enjoy your food and eat more slowly, which usually means you’ll eat less overall.
8. Fat is your friend. Healthy fats can help you lose weight and lower your LDL (bad) cholesterol. Add avocados, almonds, olive oil, walnuts, coconut oil, and fatty fish to your diet. Discover how avocados can be turned into an easy and tasty dessert with our No-Cook 5 Minute Chocolate Pudding.
9. Spice up your life. Spices have tons of health benefits. They are loaded with fiber, vitamin C, antioxidants, and anti-inflammatory properties, all of which help with fat loss. Check out these 7 Spices with Insane Health Benefits to get started.
10. Meditate. Stomach fat can be a result of stress, so try to set aside five minutes every day to meditate. Focus on your breath, and you’ll feel calm, focused, and energized. Find time to meditate and let the stress and belly fat melt away.
Ready to put these tips to use? Try our 21-Day Flat Belly Meal Plan to get going!
Subscribe to our newsletter for more weight loss tips!