Thyme is a member of the Labiatae, or mint family and it is a herb that is native to the Mediterranean basin and it comes in many varieties.
The thyme has a powerful microbial power, so, some of the oils are safe to use in all situations and some are not. For instance, thymus Vulgaris ct. linalool is the best oil for beginners and it is the safest for the skin, to be used in baths and on kids and older people. Other chemotypes (ct) like thymus vulgaris ct. thujanol, thymus vulgaris ct. thymol, and thymus vulgaris c.t carvacrol need to be left to qualified aromatherapists.
In fact, the thyme is the most commonly used oil in aromatherapy, but, bear in mind that you need to use it moderately and with care. The thyme contains very good antiviral, bactericidal, fungicidal, diuretic, antispasmodic, expectorant and antiseptic properties that are perfect during cold and flu season.
Apart from it being capable of killing microbes, the thyme can help the body to eliminate toxins and to boost the immune system by supporting the formation of white blood cells and at the same time increasing resistance to invading organisms.
It has a warm and herbaceous aroma that is potent and penetrating. Its name comes from the Greek word ‘thymos’ which means ‘to perfume.’
Health Benefits of Thyme
Other uses of thyme are also for treating respiratory infections. It is a great pulmonary disinfectant, it can be used against flu, colds, sore throats, catarrh coughs, laryngitis, whooping cough, and bronchitis. You can use it by inhaling for nose, throat and chest infections. Also, as a toothpaste or mouthwash for mouth and gum infections.
Some research has shown that essential oils like thyme can act as expectorants and increase the mucus secretions to relieve dry coughs. The best way is inhalation.
Furthermore, the thyme can be used for physical and psychological weaknesses too. It is very useful for regaining strength after an illness, chronic fatigue, or depression. Also, it can be used for treating insomnia. It will stimulate circulation, aid concentration and raise blood pressure that is too low. The best thing about it is that people believe that it can also increase intelligence and memory.
Did you also know that the essential oil in the thyme is bacterial? So, it can act on the bacteria’s enzymes. Thus, it can be used in soapy solutions for disinfecting hands before surgery and as an antiseptic in hospitals.
Thyme can destroy Staphylococcus at a dilution of 1,000 times. A study in France showed thyme to be among several essential oils that were found to destroy 90 percent of microbes within three hours when used in a vaporizer.
It deodorized the air and purified it from Proteus, Staphylococcus, Streptococcus, and cryptococcal.
- Other Uses of Thyme
- Candida and vaginitis
- Used in natural hand sanitizers
- Infections of the urinary tract and bladder, also a diuretic
- Kills nail fungus
- Crush the herb or use diluted oil to help with insect bites and stings
- Kills parasites
- Thymol, a chemical constituent in thyme essential oil can increase blood flow to the skin and speed healing
- Thymol can protect and increase the healthy fats in cell membranes
- Discourages insects from invading your home
- Add thyme to a hot compress to relieve rheumatic pain, muscular aches and pains, sprains, sports injuries, sciatica, arthritis and gout
- Dietary consumption of this herb can increase the amount of DHA in the brain, kidney and heart cell membranes
- Treat athlete’s foot. Just apply the oil neat, or undiluted and protect the skin with fatty cream. You can also treat animal bites and boils
- One percent solution can be used as an antibacterial wash for fresh produce
- Use thyme in a sitz bath or massage to stimulate menstruation for weak or missing periods
- You can use it in hair and skin care regimes. Also as a hair tonic or in a face wash for treating acne and warts
- Combine it with rosemary, lavender, and cedarwood in a mixture of grapeseed and jojoba carrier oils for treating alopecia areata. According to the double-blind controlled clinical trial, you can massage this mixture into the scalp daily for a couple of months for best results.